Policy in the Field of Control and Use of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection
The Republic of Karelia possesses high natural resource potential, therefore the major task of the Government of Karelia is creation of conditions for balanced development of natural and raw-material resources in interests of satisfaction of needs of economy of the republic in forest, mineral, water and biological resources, as well as guarantees of observance of constitutional laws of citizens to live in favorable environment.
Since January 1, 2009 there has come into force the order of the Federal Forestry Agency 403 as of December 22, 2008 403 "Concerning definition of quantity of forest areas in territory of the Republic of Karelia and their delineation according to which the territory of forest resources of Karelia is divided into 17 forest areas, there have been organized 17 official bodies of central forest areas with the limiting number of 1150 people.
Within the framework of realization of powers of the Republic of Karelia on state regulation of relations of subsurface resources management, the Government consistently solved tasks for realization of processes of licensing of subsurface resources management (on sites of bowels containing deposits of common commercial minerals), carrying out of monitoring of performance of conditions of subsurface resources management, reproduction of the mineral resources base of the republic, development of mining and smelting industry regarding the operating and newly established enterprises.
With a view of perfection of regulation of relations of subsurface resources management and bringing the legislation of the Republic of Karelia in conformity with the federal in 2009 changes were made to the Law of the Republic of Karelia On Some Issues of Subsurface Use in Territory of the Republic of Karelia and the following normative legal acts directed on its realization have been passed:
- the order of the Government of the Republic of Karelia 6-P as of January 20, 2010 Concerning the order of extraction of common commercial minerals for own needs of subsurface resources managers carrying out investigation and extraction of minerals or on the combined license of geological studying, investigation and extraction of minerals, within the borders of the given patented mining claim on the basis of the approved technical plan in territory of the Republic of Karelia
- changes were made to the Order of formation of the Program of licensing of managing of sites of subsurface resources with a view of investigation and extractions common commercial minerals, building of underground constructions of local value not related to extraction of minerals in territory of the Republic of Karelia
- changes were made to the Methods of definition of sizes and order of payment of single payments at managing of subsurface resources at approach of certain events stipulated in licenses of managing of sites of subsurface resources
- the order of Ministry for Protection of the Environment and Natural Resources of Russia and the Government of the Republic of Karelia 22-r/143r-P as of April 30, 2009 approves the List of Common Commercial Minerals for the Republic of Karelia
- the Program of licensing of managing of sites of subsurface resources with a view of investigation and extraction of common commercial minerals in territory of the Republic of Karelia for 2010 is approved
According to the federal legislation the republic carries out powers in the field of use and protection of water objects. The powers transferred by the Russian Federation are defined in three directions (on federal-owned water objects): granting of water objects or their parts in use; accomplishment of measures for protection of water objects; accomplishment of measures for prevention of negative influence of waters and rectification of its consequences. In 2009 for these purposes funds amounting to 12,916,300 roubles have been assigned to the republic. Besides, in the field of water relations the republic executes powers of the subject of the Russian Federation in subjects of joint competence.
With a view of realization of powers of the republic in the field of regulation of land relations in the accounting period formation of a legal basis of efficient control of land resources continued. There has been adopted the Law of the Republic of Karelia 1277-ZRK Concerning especially valuable productive agricultural land in territory of the Republic of Karelia as of March 25, 2009 aimed at prevention of reduction of areas of agricultural land, protection of land against degradation, provision of their rational use, and legal acts of the Government aimed at implementation of the specified law.
The Law of the Republic of Karelia Concerning contents of the petition for conversion of agricultural land, except for the land owned by the Russian Federation, into the land of other categories and the list of documents to be attached has passed in a second reading.