The Official Karelia
   English versionSuomalainen versio
  |About Karelia |Symbols   |Tourism |  Cooperation |

Byelomorsk

Memorial in the town of Byelomorsk

Memorial in the town of Byelomorsk

The town is a center of Byelomorsk municipal area located 376 km to the north from Petrozavodsk, potential subcenter of the north of Karelia, a transport unit. It is located on the western coast the White sea, in the mouth of the lower reaches of the Vyg. There is a railway station on the piece of line from St.Petersburg to Murmansk, the beginning of a branch line Byelomorsk-Oboserskaya connecting Oktyabrskaya (Murmansk) and Northern railways. 46 km to the west there is the road from St.Petersburg to Murmansk. Byelomorsk is a seaport in Sorokskaya bay of the White sea; a river port between the 18th and the 19th (last) sluices of the White Sea-Baltic channel (WSBC). Population: 14,6 thousand people in 1959; 17,9 thousand people in 1989; 15,3 thousand people in 2006. The most part of Byelomorsk is located on the right bank of the main channel of the lower reaches of the Vyg, on the island formed by the channel of the Shyzhnya where the WSBC is laid. On the left bank and along the sea there is a railway station, while a bread-baking complex, hospital and seaport are located to the east. On the island in the middle of the Lower Vyg and on the right bank there are the basic office buildings. On the largest island there are woodworking plant, transport column, railway station of Vyg.

Initial settlement on the place of Byelomorsk was the Pomor village of Soroka. For the first time was mentioned in 1419. Under Ivan's the Terrible decree the seaside village of Sorotskaya since 1551 became ancestral lands of Solovetsky monastery. In 1869 in the surburb of the village of Soroka timber merchants the Byelyaevs have built the first saw-mill. In 1912 there operated 3 saw-mills. Since 1916 Soroka became a junction depot of the Murmansk railway. Construction of the WSBC has come to town in 1931-33, last sluices are located within the precincts of town. In 1938 the village of Soroka, the lumberers' settlement named after Solunin, the settlement of Sorokskaya railway station and the settlement of water-transport workers have formed the town of of Byelomorsk. Since September, 1941 and up to liberation of Petrozavodsk in June, 1944 Byelomorsk was a temporary capital of Karelia. The town's economy is based on the woodworking industry presented by the largest enterprise - Byelomorskwoodworking plant. Also important for Byelomorsk are fishery (Karelrybflot) and building industry (Byelomorsk traversing mechanized column, State Enterprise Gornyak). In Byelomorsk there are 3 secondary schools, municipal technical training college, branches of Petrozavodsk State University and Petrozavodsk Motor Transportation Technical School, 3 libraries, a cinema, a regional Palace of Culture, a Museum of Local History presenting the exposition of coast-dwellers' life. Byelomorsk is famous for its folk chorus and folk theatre. Near Byelomorsk there is the largest in the European part of Russia congestion of petroglyphs.

A. Ragozina, I. Mitin, . S. Litvin
Encyclopedia Karelia is published by PetroPress Publishing House ©
Pervomaisky Ave. 48, Petrozavodsk

Technical support
Created: May 22, 2009. Last updated: July 7, 2009.
© State Committee of the RK for ICT Development, 1998-2015