Boulevard is a wide avenue or a town street with green plantations and alleys for pedestrians, with benches, flower beds, and sculptures. In the general system of landscape gardening boulevards often go along the basic thoroughfares. Boulevard on K. Marx Ave., the oldest boulevard in Petrozavodsk, goes along the steep bank of the Lososinka river floodplain. The linden alley in the boulevard was specified on general plans of the city since 1854 (architect V.Tukhtarov). Later trees of other breeds were planted on the alley. In the beginning of the XXI century only a few lindens and elms remained from plantations of the XIX century. Transport part of the avenue is separated with one-line row of lindens and a green hedge of cotoneaster; mixborder along the steep bank of the floodplain includes plantations of hawthorn, there are also small sites with flower decorations. According to the general plan of Petrozavodsk of 1946 the avenue was made 9 meters wider that has allowed to create the second row of green plantations in the form of discontinuous alley of poplars along the houses.
Levashovsky boulevard stretches up to 36 meters wide along Eremeyev street from Dzerzhinsky street to the coast of Onego Lake where it ends with a rotunda standing on the perron (architect N.Ovchinnikov, 1996). It represents a 2-row alley of lindens and cotoneaster. Between the alley and borders of the boulevard (in bosquets) there are groups of trees and bushes in the form of solitaires.
The boulevard was founded in 1899 under the initiative of the governor V.Levashov according to the general plan of 1854. In the following years it has been improved with modern amenities: gas lighting, a band-stand, a fountain; additional trees and bushes were planted. In territory of the boulevard there grow 33 species of woody plants. Modern trees have been planted on the boulevard during the post-war years. Area of the boulevard makes 1.7 hectares.
Boulevard on Engels street (architects K.Gutin and H.Loginsky) is located on the site from Lenin Square to Lenin Ave. This part of the street has obtained its final shape in the beginning of the 1950s. Distance between the built-up sides of the street makes 60 meters. It has allowed to decorate sidewalks with grass plots with 1 and 2 rows of trees and bushes. House land plots are decorated with planted elder shrubs and flower beds. The street is divided by the 7-meters-wide grass plot with 2 rows of lindens and a hedge of honeysuckle. The boulevard is a perfect sample of landscape gardening of the town's thoroughfare with its division into trafficways and pedestrian zones.
Victory Boulevard (Bulvar Pobedy) (architect E.Taranenko and landscape designer G.Zeveke) stretches wide (about 50 meters) in the middle of Moscovskaya street. It was founded in the 1960s, at the same time with construction of cummunity areas along Oktyabrsky Ave. Along the boulevard, close to its axis, there is a walking path (5 meters wide) with which numerous paths originate. Hedgerows and lines of trees have been planted along the boulevard. In the boulevard there are a few children's playgrounds and rest areas. On the site adjoining Oktyabrsky Ave. in 1995 there has been founded a monument devoted to the 50th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Patriotic War (architects A.Marichev, A.Kobyak, I.Mazalov, N.Molchanov, and sculptor V.Strepetov).
E. Itsikson, S. Lantratova
Encyclopedia Karelia is published by PetroPress Publishing House ©
Pervomaisky Ave. 48, Petrozavodsk