The Official Karelia
   English versionSuomalainen versio
  |About Karelia |Symbols   |Tourism |  Cooperation |

Wrtsil hardware plant

Wrtsil hardware plant

Wrtsil hardware plant

Wärtsilä hardware plant is one of the oldest metallurgical works both in Russia, and in Europe. It is located in the settlement of Wärtsilä, Sortavala region of Karelia. It was founded in 1851. On the peace treaty with Finland concluded in 1940, the territory with the plant was transferred to the USSR. By that time the plant had three Martin furnaces, three rolling mills, a foundry and a hardware shop. The plant produced rolled wire, plain bars, wire and nails. Cast iron was obtained in electric pig-iron furnaces in the settlement of Hämikoski.

Produce of Wrtsil hardware plant

Produce of Wrtsil hardware plant

After the Grat Patriotic War and production restoration in 1956-66 there have been reconstructed the nail-making and wire-drawing shops, put into operation the wire netting and weaving product shop and the shop of consumer's goods which producing capacity made up to 13,000 tons of nails, 40,000 tons of wire and 1,6 million square meters of wire netting a year, there had been built the smithery and the heat treatment bay of the mechanical-repair department.

Produce of Wrtsil hardware plant

Produce of Wrtsil hardware plant

In 1970-85 the pant switched to processing of imported raw rolled wire. Annual output of the plane has grown up to 70,000 tons of hardware. In the 1990s there have been introduced product lines for polymeric and zinc gumming of hardware, production of screw nails and electrodes. Since 2002 the plant is a member of a large industrial and financial group. At the beginning of the 21th century Wärtsilä hardware plant is one of the largest hardware enterprises in the North-West of Russia.

The plant is producing industrial goods (iron wire, iron lattice, wire nails, ironware, goods and details for repair-and-operation needs), it is rendering hardware zinc coating services and processing hot-dip galvanizing wastes. In various periods the plant was directed by A. Konovalov (1946-55), N. Desnitsky (1955-61), S. Naryshkin (1961-78), M. Tseitlin (1978-85), V. Vladimirov (1985-88), V. Kamelin (since 1988).

Sh. Baibusinov, Zh. Yevgenieva, V. Iliyushenko
Encyclopedia Karelia is published by PetroPress Publishing House ©
Pervomaisky Ave. 48, Petrozavodsk

Technical support
Created: May 22, 2009. Last updated: September 7, 2009.
© State Committee of the RK for ICT Development, 1998-2015