The Official Karelia
  Русская версияEnglish versionSuomalainen versio
  |About Karelia |Symbols   |Tourism |  Cooperation |

Sofporog discoveries

Sofporog discoveries

Sofporog discoveries

Otherwise as a gift of fortune it can not be called. In the spring of 2001 the water level in the channel of Sofjanga connecting Pjaozero and Topozero lakes (Kumskoye reservoir) has dropped considerably. On the bottom exposed the local children found strange metal subjects. The local resident Natalia Pyattoyeva gathered the find carefully and stored them. In 2006 the Sofporog settlement Palace of Culture manageress Natalia Borodkina brought photos of the find to Petrozavodsk. Value of articles appeared to be so high that the most authoritative archeologist of our republic Svetlana Kochkurkina found it necessary to go to the place of discovery immediately, but unfortunately the water level has risen again, and for this reason the more detailed research of northern medieval settlement became impossible.

What articles were found in Sofporog? These are 10 bronze thongs and their fragments. Flat rustling bird-shaped pendant with eyelets, two appendages - one with a small bell, another with a paw, perhaps, from other articles. These decorations dated back to 12-13 centuries are undoubtedly of northeast origin. Most likely, the center of their manufacturing were Volga region of Kostroma and Kama region, from there they came to northwest territories.

To the same period a horseshoe fibula with two small heads is dated. Such fibulas are often meet in so-called Lappish monuments in the north of Sweden.

The conic rustling pendant with three small bell appendages characteristic for monuments of northern Finno-Ugrian territories of 12-13 centuries kept well, they are known in Ladoga lakeside tumuli, however the greatest number of similar finds is related to monuments of the Volga region of Kostroma. They were used as female belt decorations attached to the belt by laces.

Three elements of a chain - branches - with loops on both ends are also meet among finds of the medieval period - in Ladoga lakeside female burial of 11-12 centuries, in the north of Sweden, in Ancient Karelian sites of ancient settlements of Paaso, Tiversk, etc.

A fragment of openwork bronze plate is interesting. By means of frequent fine deepenings forming a certain ornament, the plate was probably fastened to clothes, a cover, a purse or something else.

It is possible to relate an original bronze scourge top, which long decorated plug is topped with a bird beak shaped decoration to a number of rare finds. The world archeologic science has no analogies of this article.

Absence of medieval monuments in northern territories of Karelia gave scientists the basis to assume that settlements there were either individual, or absent in general, from what the conclusion followed that archeologic research of these places was hopelessness. Now this conclusion is denied. The history of our land is much more rich than it appeared. Reluctantly, but it gradually opens its secrets thanks to such people, as Natalia Pyattoyeva and Natalia Borodkina. We bow low before them for the finds preserved for scientific research!

Technical support
Created: September 6 2006. Last updated: September 6, 2006.
© State Committee of the RK for ICT Development, 1998-2015
end of XIX century as the donation for Solomensky desert by the reigning person. In 1723 of Solomensky desert was attributed to Alexandro-Svirsky monastery. In 1764 under the decree of empress Ekaterina II "On monastery personnels" small monasteries were abolished. Solomensky Petropavlovsky desert it was abolished too, and the church became the parish one.

In 1775 on the rock near the church of Apostles St.Peter and St.Paul construction of the stone Candlemas Church began. The church was constructed by Ilya Kononov, merchant from Saint Petersburg. Icons for the newly built church were painted by Petrozavodsk icon painter D.Kaidalov. 53 icons and the sacred image were "to paint the abovementioned images with the best paints, azure, the chasubles to be touched by red gold and silver. To paint all this with skilled icon painting," was written down in the contract. For all work the icon painter has earned 250 roubles from merchant Kononov. The church was consecrated in 1780 by Ioannikiy, Olonets and Kargopol diocesan and St.-Petersburg parish vicar.

After a while, according to former churchwarden Yakov Romanov, the new wooden Church of Epiphany of the smaller size was constructed near. The Candlemas Church has burned down presumably in the beginning of 1790. In 1795 merchant Kononov has started construction of church of Apostles St.Peter and St.Paul, as wooden Petropavlovsky church has burned down. In 1798 the stone church of St.Peter and St.Paul was consecrated by Veniamin, archbishop of Archangelsk and Kargopol. The foundation of the church has the shape of cross and had a wooden belfry above the entrance. The the elergy of the parish of two churches consisted of a parson, a deacon, and a sexton. The two churches had six bells. The biggest referred to as "Blagovestny (the tolling)" and weighed 21 poods, the average was 8 poods in weight, and the small one weighed 4 poods. Among the relics of Solomensky parish there was "a silver-and-gold-plated cross similar to pectoral, in which particles of saints" are kept. The cross was kept in the altar of Candlemas Church.

Candlemas Church was called the main church of the parish, it was the summer church. Solomensky parish included the chapel of St.Vlasiy in Sulazhgora and the church of St.Dmitry Salunsky was built on the cemetery in Sulazhgora. In the village of Ruchei there was a chapel of St.Zosima and St.Savvatiy Solovetsky constructed in 1890. In Lehnavolok on the bank of Logmozero there was the St.George the Victorious Chapel. In Shlikinnavolok in the centre of the village the chapel of martyr Antipa also included in Solomensky parish was constructed. In different periods of time Solomensky parish was visited by grand dukes sons of Alexander II: Nikolay, Alexey, and Vladimir.

The Candlemas Church was under restoration in 1903-1905.

In 1910 a conflagration happened in it, but many icons were rescued. Restoration of the church began, and in autumn of 1913 the repaired Candlemas Church was solemnly consecrated by Olonets bishop Nikanor. Then the 1917 has come, and hard time for the church began. In 1930 distrain of church was made, bells were removed, the church was closed. In the churche of St.Peter and St.Paul the school was open. In 1947 under the application of parishioners the church has been opened. However the church was closed again in 1962. It was without crosses and without domes. Under the decision about closing the church of Apostles St.Peter and St.Paul of July 4, 1962, a kindergarten has been settled in it.

The church was returned to the believers at the end of 1996. In 2000 crosses were hoisted over the church. While reconstructing of church its walls revealed frescos with faces of saints painted in 1913 from under the layer of plaster.

Father Pavel, the prior of the church, has told about problems of today:

- Untill 1996 it was the two-storeyed house of unclear architecture, its windows were half closed, on the second floor windows were made in the ancient walls, wooden floor were punched. In varios periods of time the building was a school, a hostel, an apartment house, a business agency. Besides, the building was sold as a private property. Only after people have asked to return the church it was declared an architectural monument of the end of XVIIIth century. We have settled on the second floor, have established a plywood iconostasis, while the roof leaked constantly. Now the church has six bells, the heaviest weighs 350 kgs. They were cast in Voronezh. For today we have mastered 9 million roubles of private donations only. On Sundays we hold thanksgiving services, two times a month on Saturdays we have services for the dead, we celebrate the great holidays with thanksgiving services. It happens that on holidays we host visitorsfor the service, it is necessary to accommodate pilgrims who visit the church.

Father Pavel has noted that traditions repeat:

- By the 100th anniversary of giving the large village of Alexandrovskaya the name of the city the church of Great Martyr Ekaterina was constructed. Now we shall continue this line of antiquity: we shall revive the church by the 300-th anniversary of the city.

Alexander Starikov
"Courier of Karelia" 10/1/2003

Rambler's Top100 Никто не забыт и ничто не забыто
Technical support
Created: September 6 2006. Last updated: September 6, 2006.
© State Committee of the RK for ICT Development, 1998-2015