In 2010 work of the Government of the Republic of Karelia in the field of power industry development was focused on maintenance of power equilibration, creation of new and modernization of operating generating capacities, including objects of small-scale power generation.
In 2010 the volume of electric energy consumption has grown 9.4% in comparison with a parameter of 2009 due to 23.1% growth of consumption volumes with regard to industrial consumers group.
In total volume of electric energy realization in 2010 industrial consumers are in the lead with 75.5%; 11.3% falls on the population, 0.8% — on agricultural commodity producers, 12.4% — on other consumers.
In 2010 in the Republic of Karelia the volume of financing within the scope of implementation of investment programs of entities of the electric power industry has made 1593 million roubles.
Due to these means it has been commissioned 53 objects of electric power industry were put into operation, 336.5 km of transmission lines and 194,98 MVA of transformer capacities.
The Government of the Republic of Karelia has approved the Program of perspective development of electric power industry of the Republic of Karelia for the period through 2015. The technical project for development of the Scheme of development of electric power industry of the Republic of Karelia through 2016 is prepared.
In order to provide reliability, safety and efficiency of electrosupply the following projects were implemented in 2010 within the territory of the republic:
- construction of 330-kilovolt overhead power transmission line from Knyazhegubskaya hydroelectric power plant to Louhi with 330-kilovolt substation in Louhi (2 construction site);
- construction of 35-kilovolt cabel overhead power transmission line from Läskelä to Valaam with 35-kilovolt substation Valaam (external electrosupply of the island of Valaam) – 2 sites, 50.5 km each;
- completion of construction of 1s substation Sortavala Novaya, input of which transformer capacity has made 25 MVA;
- reconstruction of 35-kilovolt overhead power transmission line L-83p from Pudozh to Kubovo – 19,4 kms;
- reconstruction and extension of electronetwork objects regarding the level of pressure 0.4–110 kilovolt–189.44 kms.
Within the framework of the Agreement concluded on November 24, 2010 between the Government of the Republic of Karelia and Nord Hydro Joint-Stock Company implementation of the investment project for reconstruction (construction) of the small hydroelectric power plants located in territory of republic will be organized. Total designed capacity of hydrogenerating objects stated by the parties will make more than 100 megawatts.
Investment programs of the branch of Karelenergo Inter-Regional High-Voltage Distribution Grid Company of the North-West, Inc., and Prionezhsky Grid Company, Inc., for 2011 concerning transmission of electrical energy activity category with volumes of investments amounting to 401 million roubles and 336 million roubles accordingly were approved in December, 2010.