The Department in its activity is guided by the Constitution of the Russian Federation, federal constitutional laws, federal laws, acts of the President of the Russian Federation, Regulations on the Federal Service for Ecological, Technological and Atomic Inspection, normative legal acts, administrative regulatory and directive documents of the Federal Service for Ecological, Technological and Atomic Inspection.
State control and supervision in the sphere of:
- preservation of environment regarding restriction of negative technogenic influence
- safe conducting of works connected with using and protection of bowels
- industrial safety
- safety of electric and thermal units and networks (except for household installations and networks)
- safety of hydraulic structures on objects of industry and power engineering
- safety of production, storage and use of explosive materials of industrial purpose
State building supervision at construction, reconstruction, major overhaul of dangerous industrial objects, communication lines (including linearly-cable structures), defined according to the legislation of the Russian Federation, objects of defense and safety, and objects information on which is considered national security, especially dangerous, technically complex and unique objects, except for objects of military infrastructure of Armed forces of the Russian Federation (further objects within the competence of the Federal Service for Ecological, Technological and Atomic Inspection)
Licensing, organization and state ecological examination are performed шn the prescribed manner and within the competence.